Tuesday, June 9, 2015

marching around Jericho

I LOVE teaching Sunday school and junior church.
Maybe its the child inside me that gets excited imagining Goliath,
the grapes of Canaan, or the trembling walls of Jericho.  Whatever it is...it is fun.

This week I told the story of Joshua and the walls of Jericho falling down.  Can you see the big concrete wall behind the kids?  Well.. that was our Jericho.  The kids and I marched and shouted and you know what?   Those big concrete walls didn't move!  But long ago in Jericho God brought down walls that were much bigger and much stronger then these walls.  Seeing the story played out really brought it home to the kids.

Our memory verse for the month is Joshua 3:10a   "And Joshua said, Hereby ye shall know that the living God is among you..."  I always do the memory verse many times during the class and let the kids take turns teaching it.

I brought large building blocks and we did relay races with boys against girls.  The team who built the biggest tower got to try and take turns knocking it down with a baseball.  I won't say which team was the best builders....but those girls really had good throwing arms.  

I used the blocks and talked about how we have things in our lives like selfishness, laziness, greed, etc...  Just like that baseball knocked down the tower we can ask God's help in destroying the sins in our lives.  
I'm trying to make a series of lessons that go around the theme "Living God" like in Joshua 3:10.   Our God is awesome.  Last week it was Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.  Wonder who will visit Sunday School this week?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...